It is a matter of considerable gratification and pride that Bareilly College has now completed the cycle of One hundred seventy eight years of useful services to the cause of the education in the region of Rohilkhand. One hundred seventy five years, it had a very modest beginning. It first opened its door as a Government school in 1837 under the Liberal Government of Sir Charles Metcalfe the then Lt. Governor of the North Western Provinces. In 1837 the college began with 57 pupils and Mr. Rogers was its Head master. The course of Bareilly College has never smooth & unaccountably awry and baffling it was in the initial stage when it had to battle right royally against the formidable forces of ignorance and superstition masquerading under the name of religiosity. With the passage of the time the adverse criticism died down and the college gathered and more strength, commanded the confidence and respect of the public and thus made steady progress. In 1850 it was raised to the status of Government College with Mr. Vernon Tregear (1850-53) as its first principal. Bareilly was one of the storm centers of the trouble during the Revolt of 1857. The College lost its principal Dr. C. Buck (1857-57) an eminent scholar who was victim of the mutiny. Bareilly college was closed during the Revolt. Nawab Khan Bahadur, Stationed Nana sahib, Begum Hazrat Mahal, Shahzada Feroz, Maulana Ahmadulla Khan, Bangish Nawab, Raja of Kashipur on their arrival during the Revolt of 1857 and after the Revolt the British army was stationed in Bareilly College. Bareilly College was reopened in 1858-59 with Mr. Kempson (1859-61) as its Principal. After him Mr. Henry Templeton (1861-71) was appointed the Principal He was known for his punctuality. He was popular among his students and the people of Bareilly. He died at the post and buried in Bareilly Cemetery. In 1862 the college was affiliated to the Calcutta University. Templeton was succeeded by Mr. R.A. Lloyd(1873-77). Under his term the college had steady growth till 1877, when its life has cut short and the college was abolished owing to the heavy cost of maintenance. For seven years Bareilly was without the college of its own. But the entire honour to the untiring efforts of some public spirited citizens of Rohilkhand and Kumaun particularly of Pt. Ram Narain who was for many years its honorary secretary the college again served. In 1883 the college central committee was formed with Raja Jagat Singh, Dr. J.J. Scott, Principal Methodist Seminary,Qazi Abdul Jamil, Malik Mohd Wali Khan, Bahukali Prasanno Banerji, Mr. P.N. Banerji, Nawab Abdul Aziz Khan, General Azimuddin, Sardar Md Tafammul Hussain, Mohd. Aladad Khan, Rai Bahadur Lala Damodar Das, Rai Kanhiya Lal, Lala Bankey Lal, Pandit Chandra Shekhar, Babu Sadanand, Pandit Cheda Lal, Mohd Ashfaq Hussain, Mohd Talib Hussain and others to collect money for the institution. By the end of 1863 the collection of donations and subscription resulted in the realization of Rs. 80,000 and the college started function in 1884 as Government aided institution. On the top of the list of donors stands the honoured name Lord Ripon Viceroy of India, Mr. A.O. Hume Member of Viceroy Council, his highness Sir Mohammad Hamid Ali Khan the Nawab of Rampur, Maharaja Rameshwar Singh of Darbanga, Raja Jagat Singh of Jaipur, Raja Madho Rao Vinayak Peshwa, Raja Jai Kishan Dass of Moradabad, Raja Maharaja Singh of Haldaur, Pandit Net Ram of Bareilly, Munshi Nawal Kishore of Lucknow, Raja Mishra Shyam Charan of Bareilly, Raja Shiv Raj Singh of Kashipur, Maharani Sawarn kumari of Kasim Bazar, Murashidabad and many others.
In Gratitude the managing committee of Bareilly College resolved to name the college as ripon College but the Viceroy did not consent. Mr. Lloyd was succeeded by Mr. E.A. Philips (1884-85), Mr. H.O. Budden (1885-88), Mr. B. Dukoff Gordon (1889-91) and Mr. H.E. Seddon (1891-92). In 1887 the Allahabad University was founded and the college had been affiliated in Arts to it in 1888 and in law in 1889. One of the best know Principal was Mr. A.A. Irwin Nesbitt (1892-96) did much to the encourage to the students to develop their mind, body & Spirit on sound lines. Mr. G.S. Cary(1896-1907) was next Principal. The Wheels of fortune in their turn brought another crisis to Bareilly College in 1902 when Provincial Government threatened to stop the maintenance grant of the college unless it produced a separate building of its own. Again the response of the public of Rohilkhand & Kumaun to the appeal of the help was highly appreciable. The strenuous effort of Babu Piaray Lal and Babu Raghunandan Prasad made it possible to raise a substantial sum for the college. Thus enabled the college to be founded afresh as an independent institution. It was shifted from Naumahala ground to the present site presented by Sir Mohd Hamid Ali Khan The Nawab of Rampur. It was formerly opened by Sir Janaes Digges La Touche the Lt. Governor of the North Western Province on 17th July 1906 and the classes started from July 18.
A few others who are also remembered for conspicuous services to the college in good days and bad in its development and defence one entitled to great remembrance. Men like Babu Ram Narain, Babu Pyare Lal, Babu Chail Behari Capoor, Babu Raghunandan Prasad, K.B.Ashgarah Khan, Babu Priyanath Banerji, Damodar Swaroop Seth, P.C. Azad, Master Kutub Shah, Maulana Mahamud Ahsan, Mohd. ALI, Alias Jemy Green all outstanding personalities marked ability and character and alive all devotion to the cause of the college were its main props and pillars in their time. Among Principals and professors who shed luster on the college may be mentioned Seddum , Nieball, Alderson, Owens Harrison , A.C. Dutta, Madan Mohan, R.K. Sharma , R.P. Singh , Bimal Chandra Gosh, Gyanendra Nath Chakarvarthi, Iqbal Kishan Shegra, Shyam Charan Dey, Dwetea , P.R. Sahni.
In June 1907 Mr. E.A. Richarson, Inspector of Schools Lucknow was deputed to act as Principal till the appointment of a successor to Carey. Mr. J.H. Alderson (1908-1920) joined as the Principal. He was a Stern disciplinarian. Capt. J.H. Maxwell joined as the Principal (1920-1923). He was succeeded by F.J.Feddon (1924-1925). In 1927 the College was affiliated to the new establishment Agra University. The next Principal Mr. Hempsted (Aug 1927- Dec1927) stayed in the college for four months. In Oct. 1928 Mr. William Owens succeeded to the chair. On Jan 2, 1932 he was succeed by Mr. A.C. Dutta as the first Indian Principal of Bareilly College. Here we cannot forget the name of Pandit Ram Narain whose statesman like vision, prudent administration and life long devotion to Bareilly College for 50 years who services will be always be recorded as long as Bareilly College live and in other words he will be remembered as the father of Bareilly College Dr. A.C. Dutta remained the principal of Bareilly College from 1932 to 1943. He joined the college as a teacher in English in 1909. He saw the participation of students of Bareilly College in Civil Disobedience Movement and Quit India Movement. He was succeeded by Mr. Madan Mohan (1943-1945). The students of Bareilly College agitated in favour of Azad Hind Fauj and resolved to send college union fund for their relief. Mr. madan Mohan asked them not to do so and as a result of this Mr. Nethersole the commissioner of Rohilkhand and President of Board of Control ordered to curve this student agitation otherwise disciplinary action was to be taken against him. At this Mr. Madan Mohan resigned and was succeeded by Prof. D.P. Bhatacharya(1945-1949) Prof D.P. Bhatacharya hoisted the National Flag on 15 Aug 1947 in the college to celebrate the first Independence day. Prof. D.P. Bhatacharya was succeeded by Mr. S.B. Banerji(1949-54) as the Principal. He was succeeded by Dr. R.K. Sharma (1954-59). He is known as the builder of Bareilly College the commerce building and swimming pool was constructed during his regime. He improved the financial condition of the college. He was succeeded by Mr. P.S. Sundram (1959-1965) as principal. He was a man of liberal attitude and attempted to make all round development in the college. Unfortunately he had to resign and go back. He was so popular among the students and teachers that on his farewell every body wept. He was succeeded by Dr. G.P. Mehrotra (1969-1975) who had been teacher in Political science Department in the college. Bareilly College saw many ups and downs during his regime. The students carried Hindi Movement and the movement of establishment of Rohilkhand University during his period. He was a renowned academician but the J.P. Movement led to lawlessness in the college and university examinations of 1975 were disturbed and in this turmoil he resigned. He was succeeded by Major (Dr.) M.S. Mehra (1975-1986) who had been a teacher in chemistry in the college. His period as Principal of the college was peaceful and discipline of college was maintained excellently. He was succeeded by Dr. P.P. Singh (1986-1994), who was again a man of Chemistry. The college stretched & progress under his leadership. The Environment Science and Biotechnology building was constructed in his period. For two years Bareilly College saw Dr. S.P. Gupta (1994-1996) as an officiating Principal.
A new and glorious chapter in the history of Bareilly College began with the joining of our past Principal Prof. R.P. Singh in 1996. It was under his dynamic leadership that the college progressed by leaps and bounds. The B.B.A. block and upper stories of Commerce Block, B.Ed Dept., Proctor office and Zoology departments were added to the college campus. Construction of new Bank Building, Faculty Chambers, Building of Office Management course, D.S.W. office and establishment department were added which enriched our infrastructural facilities of this college. It is worth to be mentioned that establishment of new labs in Botany, Chemistry and Physics Departments, Cafeteria, Multipurpose hall, Gymnasium, Girls Hostel, Union Office, Hall of Fine Arts deptt., G.C.R. Canteen, Women's Grievances Cell, Establishment of Moot Court in Law faculty are some of the achievements which add the success of our esteemed Principal Prof. R.P.Singh.
In his constant endeavour to add new dimensions to the educational opportunities being offered by Bareilly College. Prof. R.P. Singh has taken the initiative to introduce a large number of Degree courses at U.G. and P.G. level and numerous diploma and certificate courses also. These included conventional courses such as Geography, Home Science, Psychology, along with new courses like Biotechnology and Environment Science. Realizing the need for professional education our Principal strived hard to introduce new and vocational courses such as B.B.A., B.C.A., and M.Ed. Some other important professional courses are expected to add feathers in the cap of our college's achievement in the near future.Prof. R. P. Singh has also worked as a member of Higher Education Commission & Vice Chancellor of Ch. Charan Singh University Meerut. After that Dr Somesh Yadav had served as Principal from 01st July 2014 to 30th June 2015 and Dr R B Singh had served as Principal from 01st July 2015 to 17th Feb 2016. Again Dr Somesh Yadav had served as Principal from17th Feb 2016 to 22nd May 2017. Now Dr Ajay Kumar Sharma has joined as Principal on 22nd May 2017.
All these efforts to provide enhanced educational environment in the college have been fruitful only through the constant contribution of the management of Bareilly College. Distinguished members from various fields, eminent citizens, and D.M and Commissioner comprise the management committee. The most proactive role in this journey of educational growth of the college is played by the Secretary of the management committee. At present it is under the able guidance and futuristic vision of our Hon'ble Secretary Shri Dev Murti Ji that college is flourishing, carving a name for itself in the entire Rohilkhand region.
* 150th Celebration Souvenir